We offer these training events, at no cost, to Volunteers from Christian congregations who might want to serve in a Next Step Program Affiliate in in their community. Affiliates help their neighbors in poverty make lasting, positive changes in their lives emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Next Steps is a Christ-centered program that offers people in poverty a hand-up, rather than a hand-out. We refer to our neighbors as “Participants” because they are participating in their recovery from poverty one step at a time.
Here is a brief synopsis of our Affiliates, to date:
- Next Steps of Johns Island (NSJI) Affiliate operates out of (a) St. John’s Anglican Church on Maybank Highway on Mondays from 9 AM to 1 PM and (b) LRP Ministries on Main Road, on Wednesdays from 5-7 PM. Each week NSJI helps Participants from Johns and Wadmalaw Islands and the Red Top Area make positive changes in their lives. In 2016, NSJI helped 110 individuals. NSJI operates with 25 Volunteers from eight Cooperative Churches. Please view this NSJI video to witness the NSJI Volunteers’ enthusiasm.
- Next Steps of Barnabas Ministries (NSBM) Affiliate operates in the Community Center of St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church on King Street (opposite Marion Square) on Fridays from 9 AM to 4 PM. Each week NSBM helps Participants from the Charleston Peninsula, mainly homeless, make positive changes in their lives. In 2016 NSBM helped 222 individuals. NSBM operates with 35 Volunteers from 12 Cooperative Churches. Please view these videos to witness the testimony of Participant Frankie and Volunteers Dawn and Brett.
- Next Steps of East Cooper (NSEC) Affiliate operates out of (a) Christ Church Anglican at 2304 Highway 17N, Mt Pleasant, SC 29466 on Tuesdays from 10 AM to 2 PM and (b) St. Andrew's Anglican Church at 440 Whilden St, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464 on Fridays from 3-7 PM. Each week we hope NSEC will help 10-20 Participants from Awendaw, Mt Pleasant, Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, and Daniel Island make positive changes in their lives. NSEC operates with 50 Volunteers from seven Cooperative Churches.
- Next Steps of James Island and Folly Beach (NSJF) Affiliate We will open NSJF at Saint James Church on Camp Road on James Island in 2018 when we have 30 trained Volunteers. Through NSJF, we hope to help many of the people in poverty in the James Island and Folly Beach area, including those currently being served by James Island Outreach (JIO).
- Introduction to the Next Step Program We offer training in the Parlor of Saint James Church, 1872 Camp Road, James Island, SC 29412. This training is open to anyone intersted in learning more about the Next Step Program and our Affiliates. A person need only attend one session. The next training dates and times are:
- Thursday, January 18th from 9:30 AM to Noon.
- Monday, February 26th from 9:30 AM to Noon.
- Friday, March 23rd from 9:30 AM to Noon.