We offer these training events, at no cost, to Volunteers from Christian congregations who might want to serve in a Next Step Program Affiliate in in their community. Affiliates help their neighbors in poverty make lasting, positive changes in their lives emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Next Steps is a Christ-centered program that offers people in poverty a hand-up, rather than a hand-out. We refer to our neighbors as “Participants” because they are participating in their recovery from poverty one step at a time.
Here is a brief synopsis of our Affiliates, to date:
- Next Steps of Johns Island (NSJI) Affiliate operates out of a satellite site at LRP Ministries on Main Road, on Wednesday evenings from 5-7 PM, to serve Participants who work during the day. NSJI also operate on Mondays at St. John’s Parish Church on Maybank Highway from 9 AM to 1 PM. Each week NSJI helps Participants from Johns and Wadmalaw Islands and the Red Top Area make positive changes in their lives. In 2016, NSJI helped 110 individuals. NSJI operates with 25 Volunteers from eight Cooperative Churches. Please view this NSJI video to witness the NSJI Volunteers’ enthusiasm.
- Next Steps of Barnabas Ministries (NSBM) Affiliate operates in the Community Center of St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church on King Street (opposite Marion Square) on Fridays from 9 AM to 4 PM. Each week NSBM helps Participants from the Charleston Peninsula, mainly homeless, make positive changes in their lives. In 2016 NSBM helped 222 individuals. NSBM operates with 35 Volunteers from 12 Cooperative Churches. Please view these videos to witness the testimony of Participant Frankie and Volunteers Dawn and Brett.
- Next Steps of East Cooper (NSEC) Affiliate We will to operate NSEC out of two locations:
- South Mt Pleasant at St. Andrew's Mount Pleasant (SAMP), 440 Whilden St, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464 on Fridays from 3-7 PM.
- North Mt Pleasant at Christ Church Mount Pleasant (CCMP), 2304 Highway 17N, Mt Pleasant, SC 29466 on Tuesdays from 9 AM - 2 PM
- We have 48 trained Volunteers but need several more to open NSEC at both locations--hopefully in July or August 2017. Each week we expect NSEC to help 10-20 Participants from Awendaw, Mt Pleasant, Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, and Daniels Island make positive changes in their lives.
- We have a NSEC training event scheduled at Eastbridge Presbyterian Church, 1250 Lexington Dr., Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466 on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 from 9:30 AM to Noon
- Next Steps of James Island and Folly Beach (NSJF) Affiliate We will operate NSJF at Saint James Church on Camp Road on James Island, in late 2017 when we have 30 trained Volunteers. Through NSJF, we hope to help many of the people in poverty, including those currently being served by James Island Outreach (JIO).
- We have a NSJF training event scheduled to be held in the Parlor of Saint James Church on Monday, July 10, 2017 from 9:30 AM to Noon.
Post & Courier A December 5, 2015 article in the "Faith & Values" section of this Charleston, SC newspaper featured Next Steps of Johns Island (NSJI). Click HERE to read more.